Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Pleated versus Media and Zoned Comfort Control

Hi All,

I posted this inquiry in alt.hvac a while ago but read some additional
unrelated posts from regular old homeowners (to which some hostile
invited to the party over there.

I installed a new Carrier Weathermaker furnace along with a Carrier
Infinity Central Air conditioner and Venmar heat exchanger in my
Minnesota home a couple years ago. I have two questions:

1) We have a split-level home and the lower level tends to be very
cold, both winter and summer. Any suggestions on how to remedy this
situation? What would the pros/cons be of something like the Aprilaire
Zoned Comfort Control system be? My father suggests an electric
baseboard heater. Not too keen on that, though.

2) When the furnace was installed the installer put a 20x22 1/4 X 1"
opening for the filter. The only kind of filter we can find that
actually fits that are the crummy flat fiberglass filters. I recently
asked the installer where we could get better filters. He said it was
that size to fit the Aprilaire 2400 and that if we wanted better
filters we could just put a bigger one in and let one end stick out.
He could install the 2400 for about $325 but I don't have a clue as to
whether it is worth it other than the installer said it would make our
furnace last longer and run more efficiently. True or not? Can I just
let one end of a pleated filter stick out like he says? Why should I
spent $325 for the 2400??

Thanks much for the professional expertise of the list in advance.

Mike