Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

Default 'nother chain saw question

RB wrote:
You guys got me deciding to buy several spare chain blades instead of
getting a roll of chain and tossing out dull pieces.

My 16" bar uses a chain the Craftsman sells for $20. I found two other
online places that sell it for $30.

Is a 16" chain a 16" chain a 16" chain? Or are they make/model specific?

I'd think I could beat the Sears price, but Googled and DogPiled it and
couldn't. Online sources of inexpensive chain blades welcome.

There are an amazing range of chain types and sometimes it isn't obvious
from looking what sort of chain is right for any given saw and purpose.
The biggest difference is chain pitch and then comes tooth type and then
comes kerf width then you have specialty materials to consider.

Personally, I've had great luck buying my loops (as they call a
ready-made chainsaw chain in the industry) from Bailey's. The biggest
problem there is that there is just so much available that it can put
one into a coma trying to figure out what is what. But contacting their
service people is easy and they really know everything there is to know
about turning trees into sawdust. BTW: their cost for most standard
chain types seems to be around $0.22 per drive link.

http://www.baileys-online.com/

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]