Posted to rec.woodworking
MJ D

Default Hope I Repaired This Right

I am by no means a carpenter, just a woman learning as I go helping out
my Painting, sub-contractor son. My job was to clean up the ancient oak
floors, but the landlord liked my work so much he hired me! On the
stairway, a corner step pieced with 3 boards had a gap running 1/8th to
1/4 in. One piece was higher and globbed with varnish. I scraped and
cleaned out the joint, sanded to level. I used some shingles to fill the
gap as far down as possible, leaving about 1/16 from the top. I wet them
to swell and filled wth wood putty. The next day I sanded and refilled
with putty for a smooth surface. Stained and Poly. Looks nice but do you
think this will last? I appreciate your time, boy this stuff is FUN!!!!!