Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default Got an electrical problem, need assistance

It wouldn't surprise me if the person who put a plug in the ground also
might of put a splice in the ground somewhere as well. Did you measure the
voltage where the wires connect inside the house with a load on the circuit
just in case? Also outside wiring like this should have GFI protection,
upgrade as well while you are at it.

"Shopdog" wrote in message
newslVXf.1289$te1.31@trndny03...
Ok, Heres the situation, our front lamp post is out along with garden
lights (hard wired). Found a problem the electrical outlet had been
planted (literally) so it was full of rust and moist dirt. Ok, I removed
the bad outlet replaced it with a weatherproof one mounted off the ground.
got 121.6 v at the outlet. I put in NEW bulbs in the lamp post and
nothing. I check voltage at the post 121.6 put another bulb in nothing, I
bulb and the voltage goes back to 121.6v. OK, I removed the lamp post
head, nothing wrong up in there, but I cleaned it out and put it back.
Still getting 121.6, so I decided to check the outlet out in a different
way, I plugged in my trouble light and nothing the voltage dropped to
86.3. Unplug the light voltage back to 121.6.
I'm stuck!

Searcher