Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry

Default Fireplace insert. Advice?

Request some opinions/advice re alternatives for our existing fireplace
which lives in an imposing rock wall in our family room.

A recent insurance survey identified that the open grate fireplace with a
hanging metal curtain in front of it, should have an 18 inch hearth in front
of it. The 22 inch high and 23 inch wide fireplace opening is about 12
inches up from the floor with a rock 'lip' projecting about 8 inches. We do
have a semi-non combustible plastic shield laid on the carpet in front of
it, which has prevented ash and cinders melting the floor carpet.
The 'damper' originally operated by a turn-screw device has rotted away over
some 25 years. The flue is presently blocked to prevent heat loss. The
fireplace chimney has a 6 by 8 inch rectangular masonry flue in good
condition.
Such a fireplace while cheery when it was used is very inefficient and
creates dirt/ashes and heat loss etc. There is no possibility of an ash dump
because the back of the chimney is in a storeroom with same floor level.
Chimney construction also provides a separate 6 inch by 6 inch flue which
goes further down and is connected to a wood stove in the basement below
this room. Insurance has approved that installation.

Alternatives may be;

1) Add hearth 18 inches out at floor level or very slightly above it. Repair
or replace damper etc. Continue to burn wood etc.

2) Convert by adding a propane gas fireplace insert. This would require a
gas line, large gas bottle to be located outside (with certain clearances),
with regulator, ice snow protection, access for refilling etc. Also certain
regulations may require a different flue and/or a special stainless steel
flue liner? Propane heat with the use of the small electric blower in such a
fireplace is nice and would add local warmth to the room .

3) Install an electric fireplace. Have never liked these because of their
'artificiality' etc. But since rest of house with exception of the basement
wood stove is 'all-electric' anyway it would be easiest to install and with
no combustion involved cleanest. While I have the skills to maintain most
items electric would probably be simplest (and cheapest) to maintain, myself
(aged 70+).

4) Although some interesting oil stoves are available fuel becoming more
expensive? And the regulatory precautions for oil tank and fuel line are
considerable and a concern; insurance against environmental damage would be
another ongoing expense. So I omit this option.

Opinions/ideas welcome.