Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

Default Got an electrical problem, need assistance

"Shopdog" wrote in message
newslVXf.1289$te1.31@trndny03...
Ok, Heres the situation, our front lamp post is out along with garden

lights
(hard wired). Found a problem the electrical outlet had been planted
(literally) so it was full of rust and moist dirt. Ok, I removed the bad
outlet replaced it with a weatherproof one mounted off the ground. got

121.6
v at the outlet. I put in NEW bulbs in the lamp post and nothing. I check
voltage at the post 121.6 put another bulb in nothing, I go back to the
outlet and check voltage, this time its 91.3. I unscrew the bulb and the
voltage goes back to 121.6v. OK, I removed the lamp post head, nothing

wrong
up in there, but I cleaned it out and put it back. Still getting 121.6, so

decided to check the outlet out in a different way, I plugged in my

trouble
light and nothing the voltage dropped to 86.3. Unplug the light voltage

back
to 121.6.
I'm stuck!

Somewhere you have a bad connection. Check all the wiring for a loose or
corroded connection all the way back to the fuse/breaker box. The high
resistance joint is dropping the voltage when you put a load on the circuit.