Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Hunting for a small lathe [9x26]

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:15:31 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 07:02:55 +0000, (DoN.
Nichols) wrote:

According to Gunner :

Odd..I can thread on my lath up to about 1000 rpm, right up to a
shoulder. Works pretty good

What thread pitch? Something like an 80 TPI would be pretty
easy, even with the too-fast spindles on some of the toy lathes.

My HLV-H will only do a 10tpi or finer, unfortunately. But I can do 10
tpi at 1000 rpm.

I could see that coming. g I rarely single point threads, but when I
do, my Feeler HLV-H clone makes me look quite good.

Ned Simmons

Its quite a rythem too..lever left, compound out, lever right,
compound in, a couple thous infeed, lever left...makes ya look like ya
know what you are doing. G

I did my first metric thread last night...12x1.75 using the outside
change gears/ Both times..I made it too loose. Damnit.

Making a drawbar for BT30 endmill holder. Ive made it 4 times
now..first two times I thought it was 1/2-14....sigh..It wasnt. I dont
have metric thread gauge.and it sure LOOKED like 14 thread...then I
went looking on the net for the threads used on retention
knobs...oops.

No metric thread mics..and I buggered up my conversion calcs when
using a standard mic. My bad. Today..Ill try again..maybe Ill get it
right this time. Im running out of 1/2" bar stock.. I only have 304 in
this size with a homemade thread tool, ..so its not been really fun
cutting threads..even using the tailstock and a live center...

When I thread..I always come really close..then take a thousand or two
too much and its sloppy. I really really need to work on this.

Getting a proper thread tool might help too..shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3