Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Default Driveway

ronnie wrote:
Am just about to move to a new house. The driveway is 4 metres wide
and aprox 100 metres long. It slopes up to the house and is covered in
granite chips. The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving
up the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load. The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

It's done in granite chips because of the costs of doing it in other
materials.
I install block paving or paving slabbed drives and the cost is
approximately £40 per sq metre, you have 400 of these making it £16,000, and
that's for bog standard materials (plain grey flags or brindle block paving)
Concrete looks revolting (even the imprinted stuff after a few years when
it's cracked up / been excavated / bleached in the sun)
Tarmac may be your best bet but expect to pay about 9 grand if you want it
doing properly.