Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Driveway

ronnie wrote:
Am just about to move to a new house. The driveway is 4 metres wide
and aprox 100 metres long. It slopes up to the house and is covered in
granite chips.

Best resource on the web for advice http://www.pavingexpert.com/

The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving
up the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load.

Properly laid gravel drives don't move under load. Mine certainly doesn't
move at all. I suspect that they have just dumped 10mm gravel down as a
quick & cheap surface without a proper sub base..

The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

Block, tarmac or concrete on a 400 sq/mtr drive will cost an arm and several
legs. Properly laid gravel about half the price of blocks. No drainage
problems with gravel.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman