Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default poly gas pipe

Robert Gammon wrote:

Wayne Whitney wrote:

On 2006-03-04, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"MC" wrote in message

What surprised me is how no one with the gas company there was even
concerned about all the gas leaking out before they got it clamped
and while digging it up.

Not much concern really. Once in open atmosphere, it is less
harmless than most people think.

You mean "less harmful" or "more harmless"? Cheers, Wayne

With no ignition source, the concentration of gas from an open
residential gas line is not a health problem. Yes, It stinks. The
real risk is ignition, and the ignition source will need to be CLOSE to
the open gas line to ignite it.

Hi,
The smell is intentional so we can detect the presence of gas. The smell
is added for that. In open space the amount of gas should be a lot for
ignition.