Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default chain saw reflections and question

wrote:
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:55:18 -0600, "RB"
wrote:

My impression is that, when it comes to the home use type gas chain saws,
the new chain blade seems to last quite awhile. Then, once it goes dull,
and you get it sharpened, it cuts great for a few whacks, then is dull
again, almost immediately.

If this indeed is the case at large, then maybe the answer is simply to have
a big roll of chain blade handy. Make up a new blade each time the old one
dulls, and discard the old one.

For me, it isn't the money so much as it is I really can't afford for my
chain to go dull quickly. I need a bit more longevity out of whatever I'm
using to cut with.

Is having a roll and chain breaker stuff handy a good way to go to avoid
short life spans of resharpened blades.

New ones are not that expensive.
I suspect the real reason why you haven't had much luck with
sharpening is you ran it too long dull. That will anneal the teeth and
they won't hold an edge. I just buy them on sale at the BORG and toss
them when they get dull.. If you are careful they last a pretty long
time. Kiss the dirt a few times andf they are toast.

I suspect you don't know much about chainsaws or
sharpening a chain.