Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

Default Laguna vs MiniMax, a persion observation.

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Frank Drackman" wrote in message

I really don't think that you could go wrong with either saw. I have a
Laguna 18" that works fine but if I were going to purchase again I think
that I would go with MiniMax.

I don't understand why MiniMax markets it's service as being fantastic.

It
isn't, and I believe it sets them up for failure. They create

expectations
that many times they fail to meet. There are lots of message threads on
their Yahoo forum from unhappy customers.

You're going to have to qualify those statements Frank. You say you'd
purchase the Minimax over the Laguna, but then you go onto the next
paragraph where you talk about unhappy Minimax customers. Considering you
feel that way, what is there about the Laguna that would make you prefer
buy the Minimax?

Sorry I should have made it more clear. I would by the MiniMax because I
think that the product is better than the Laguna. I have used both and
think that the MiniMax has less flex and cuts better.

My statements about MiniMax service are mostly about expectations. People
pay an up-charge over Grizzly, Jet, and Delta to purchase MiniMax and when
something goes wrong many times they think that MiniMax should be able to
fix their problem instantly. I don't think the Grizzly customers have the
same expectations. When MiniMax tells them that there is nothing they can
do, or that a part needs to be sent over from Europe, their expectations are
not met and they become unhappy.

Leon's story about going all the way to Austin to test a saw, with an
appointment, and going away unhappy because they didn't have a saw are
pretty typical. If you are not a member join the MiniMax group at Yahoo and
read through the message archives.