Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Questions about a riser block on a 14" bandsaw

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:22:08 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just bought a 1hp Delta 14" band saw. I got a 1/2" 4tpi blade for it and
have been playing with it.
It resaws 6" of mahogany easily enough, but bogs down on 6" of oak. I made
lumber out of black locust firewood, but it struggled.
It would be great to install a riser and be able to deal with larger pieces,
but since it doesn't do 6" all that well, I can't see doing bigger pieces.

It might not be happy about 12", but what about 8" or that 6 3/8"
piece that makes you go "Doh!" when it just hits the guide.

Keep in mind you do lose about an inch of width between the blade and
the saw frame with the block. So it becomes more a question of which
limitation do you think you're going to hit more often. From what I
understand it doesn't affect the cutting perfomance for thinner stuff,
and the longer blade will last longer.

-Leuf