Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Cydrome Leader

Default Safely testing 22 kV capacitors

In rec.crafts.metalworking Ignoramus26172 wrote:
On 1 Apr 2006 15:55:49 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:40:29 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
Why not keep them and start trying to shink coins?
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

I was thinking of that, actually. Iggy, what would you need for some of
these?

I think that I would need all my caps, and some way to vent the copper
gas from exploding copper coils. In other words, too violent for me.

I used to crush quarters. "copper gas" is the least of the problem you
will encounter, and not the reason the solenoids explode.

20 kV is low for quarter crushing.

If it matters, I used 14uF of 50kV energy discharge caps. 30-35kV worked
the best, although inductance is of the circuit is as important as the
voltage.

I didn't dare to connect a scope up to measure the waveforms.

I want to keep one or two caps at most. I think that I could build a
coke can crusher (you can do a google search for "can crusher
capacitor"), using materials readily available, such as solid copper
wire, fiberglass, pvc pipes, and steel balls. I think that 2 uF at 18
kV could be enough to deform the cans.

Use pipe not wire for can crushing.