Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

Default Strange voltage reading at unknown switch

"Max" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm currently helping my girlfriend figure out what a switch in a spare
bedroom actually goes to, however I ran into a problem with voltages on
the switch.

Here's the setup:

1 - 12-2+G
1 - 12-3+G going into the box.

Black from 12-2 goes to top screw poll of switch
Black from 12-3 goes to top push fit poll of switch
Red from 12-3 goes to bottom poll of switch
Whites are bonded
Grounds are bonded, pigtail not connected to anything

From what little electrical I know, this seems like a 3 way switch

setup, however I have no idea where it could possibly go to. Also, if
it is a 3 way setup, I know the switch isn't a 3 way switch, so there's
no real way this should work anyway. I know it doesn't go to any of
the outlets in the room as they get a full 120V on top and bottom at
all times.

My concern is the voltages I'm reading on the switch.

With the switch in the off position I get:

H to N: 84.8V
H to G: 121.9V
N to G: 27.9V

With the switch in the on position:

H to N: 0V
H to G: 121.9V
N to G: 121.9V

I'm confused. Anyone out there know what could possibly be going on
with this switch?

Thanks.

It is not a 3 way switch set. The two blacks are joined together at the
switch instead of being spliced together with a wire connector. Usually the
black is feeding through on the 3 wire and the red is the switch leg. If
you disconnected all of the wires you may find that the 2 wire is the feed
and you should have approximately 120 volts between the white and black. See
what doesn't work after you disconnect the black wires. There could be a
ceiling fixture box that has been covered over. It is possible that there
was a switched receptacle at one time and the previous owner changed it to
be on all of the time. Open each outlet and look for the red wire.

How old is the house?

Stop using a voltmeter and get a pigtail socket and a light bulb and check
every outlet top and bottom again.