Posted to alt.home.repair
Max

Default Strange voltage reading at unknown switch

Hi,

I'm currently helping my girlfriend figure out what a switch in a spare
bedroom actually goes to, however I ran into a problem with voltages on
the switch.

Here's the setup:

1 - 12-2+G
1 - 12-3+G going into the box.

Black from 12-2 goes to top screw poll of switch
Black from 12-3 goes to top push fit poll of switch
Red from 12-3 goes to bottom poll of switch
Whites are bonded
Grounds are bonded, pigtail not connected to anything

From what little electrical I know, this seems like a 3 way switch

setup, however I have no idea where it could possibly go to. Also, if
it is a 3 way setup, I know the switch isn't a 3 way switch, so there's
no real way this should work anyway. I know it doesn't go to any of
the outlets in the room as they get a full 120V on top and bottom at
all times.

My concern is the voltages I'm reading on the switch.

With the switch in the off position I get:

H to N: 84.8V
H to G: 121.9V
N to G: 27.9V

With the switch in the on position:

H to N: 0V
H to G: 121.9V
N to G: 121.9V

I'm confused. Anyone out there know what could possibly be going on
with this switch?

Thanks.