Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two

Default do have I have to change my guitar amp's zener diodes?

In article . com,
" wrote:

HI all,

I've no experience in repairing or in electronics but I opened my amp
to change an input jack and noticed this:

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8...mage0012tf.png

http://img451.imageshack.us/img451/6...mage0047pi.png

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/744...mage0024my.png

It looks like zener diodes have burned the board under them.

The amp works great, the sound is ok, should I change them?

here is some schematics I found:
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/4839/schemaparz6bm.png

here's the zeners' pdf:
http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/eic/1N5368A.pdf

thanks for your help

PS: sorry for my english...

No. If it's working great, leave them alone, particularly in light of
your inexperience. The older and more corroded and crispier something
gets, the more difficult it is to work with. (you can check with my g.f.
about that) If you don't have good tools and a reasonable amount of
soldering experience, it's as likely that something will go wrong as it
is to go right. Then a simple job becomes not simple.