Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Ignoramus26172

Default Safely testing 22 kV capacitors

On 1 Apr 2006 15:55:49 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:40:29 GMT, RoyJ wrote:
Why not keep them and start trying to shink coins?
http://205.243.100.155/frames/shrinkergallery.html

I was thinking of that, actually. Iggy, what would you need for some of
these?

I think that I would need all my caps, and some way to vent the copper
gas from exploding copper coils. In other words, too violent for me.

I want to keep one or two caps at most. I think that I could build a
coke can crusher (you can do a google search for "can crusher
capacitor"), using materials readily available, such as solid copper
wire, fiberglass, pvc pipes, and steel balls. I think that 2 uF at 18
kV could be enough to deform the cans.