Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Courtney

Default How to fill pitted aluminum for powder coating?

We use it also... before powder coating.
Eastwood Co has it online: http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2D5164EC
David

"Bill Marrs" wrote in message

"Joe Landau" wrote in message
. ..
Is there a good way to fill pits (up to .150" diameter) in an aluminum
casting (a motorcycle chaincase) so that it can be powder coated? The
powder coating process subjects the part to 400 degrees F., so I think
plastic fillers would not stand up.

I imagine gas welding would do it, but I don't know that I could do it.

I use a material called "Lab Metal" to fill pits and imperfections in
cast aluminum
thermoforming molds. Amazing stuff. One part aluminum putty, comes in two
versions,
regular and high heat. The high heat will take 1000 F IIRC, the regular
around 400 + F.
Not cheap, but a little can goes a long way. I get it at the local
welding supply store.
Also available at the local FASTENAL store, and probably at an industrial
supplier near you.