Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb

Default Tap and die question

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes

|1/2 turn forward and then a 1/4 back to break off the swarf, according
|to my apprentice supervisor, nearly 50 years ago:-(

Bi Hek that brings back memories!
The first thing we had to do was to file a cube with all sides within 1
thou of each other from a bit of round bar ins dia by 1 ins long.

Crumbs. I was an *electrical technician* so that sort of precision was
not reached.

There was the occasion when one of the craft lads filed the master to
suit his test piece which put the rest of us out.

Leaning on the saddle of the only lathe in the dept. took another 10
thou off the work.

Happy days.

regards

--