Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason

Default Cleaning mica panels in a toaster

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a Dualit toaster, that is no longer toasting evenly. The
elements
are covered with transparent panels, as clear as glass, but look like
they
could be mica (the edges are slightly flaky). The mica panels are
covered
in white, crusty spots (probably cheese and butter splashes).

So - what can I use to clean these deposits? The panels are very clear,
and I don't want to use anything that will abrade the surfaces. A dry
toothbrush alone does not get the deposits off, and I am a bit wary of
using water or soap.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to know that too!

Also, what gauge of wire to use to replace the elements.

Mary

The only effective way to clean the mica is to wet wash them. Its not
usually needed though. Mica should be treated as semi fragile. For the
sake of anyone thinking of self darwinating, yes you need to give it a
full week to dry out properly afterwards.

Very mild soap and water seemed to work okay. I used a small bit of cloth
wrapped around a stick to get right inside, and it removed a lot of dirt
(very slow though). The mica looks as good as new now, but I'm going to let
it dry for a few days before plugging it in.

-- JJ