Posted to uk.d-i-y
TonyK

Default Disabled shower layout?

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
"TonyK" wrote in
:

I've got hold of a layout for WC, basin etc showing min/max heights,
position of handrails etc. can anyone point me in the right direction
for a similar shower layout?

I've googled unsucessfully for best part of an afternoon!

Cheers

What is the disability of the person ?

Can they stand freely, stand supported, not stand at all ?

Will they be likely to slip on wet floor if standing and therefore need a
rail?

Can they walk into shower ?

Can they walk out of the shower ?

From the above you will see that each persons needs are different. I
have never seen a shower that will exactly suit all disabled people.

If the installation is for a particular person - ask them what they want
or need.

If the shower is for general disabled use, I would suggest you put in a
fold-down seat, grab rails either side of the seat (the sort that fold
up, a non-slip floor surface, a decent sized soap dish within reach when
sitting. Make sure the controls can be reached whilst standing and
sitting. A rail for steadying purposes when stepping over the lip.
Make sure the shower head can be slid up and down a rail.

When walking on slippery surfaces, all disabled people appreciate more
rather than fewer grab rails - they give you confidence !

Hope this has been of some use.

TWW
who is moderately disabled and who has slipped in the shower too often !

Cheers Terry

I've got the whole lot, seat, DDA compliant riser and head, TRV3 valve, 8
grab rails of various types. A single lever thermostatic tap, high level WC
with rests, fold down rails etc etc. The floor is a non-slip safety flooring
with floor drain, no thresholds or anything plus a 36" door.

Now all I need to know is where to put it all... the DDA/NAS books are not
very helpful :-(