Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default Swamp cooler question

"Ken Knecht" wrote in message
Every year after I prep my swamp cooler for another summer - clean, lube,
new pads, etc. - I notice that when I first turn on the blower I get a
large amount of grit/dust blown into my house. Where does this come from?
Pieces of fiber from the pads? Flakes of calcium from my hard well water?
Is there an easy way to catch these so they won't blow into the house?
Any way to avoid them? I see this sometimes during the summer when the
cooler has been off a few days too.

TIA

Ahhhh. Time of year again to duel with the swampers. I got two. Next time
up there, pull a pad. Look through any of the others and see how much sky
you can see. This is just a big opening where dust can blow in during the
winter and when the cooler is off during the summer. Plus, when you service
it, you knock stuff loose. Two things you can do: First, cover your cooler
in winter. Second, some have a slider piece of sheet metal you can insert
to cut off the air duct plenum.

Steve