Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Whole House Water Filter?

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
"Robert Gammon" wrote in message
. net...

Not to mention that the 5600 wastewater has a good load of salt in it, 2-3
pounds is not uncommon for the amount of salt dissolved in a backflush
operation.

Water softeners and RO water purifier both produce somewhat concentrated
brine. So much so that many communities that rely on septic tanks have
BANNED water softener AND RO waste water from being connected to septic
tanks!!!!

A water softener with a peroxide/chloring flush is likely the only
meaningful solution. RO is a downstream polisher of the water softener
output, at least in the units sold for residential use.

Thanks Robert! I didn't realize this unit used a salt medium? I'm
actually starting to lean more towards this unit that
was recommended earlier. Not sure if this uses any sort of salt medium as
well but I'd better check:

http://www.budge****er.com/iron_filters.htm

I still really need to get a water test done before I get too serious about
this as who knows what the test will reveal.
Thanks for the help!!!
cc

the unit you selected with this link is NOT a water softener, as it ONLY
deals with Iron Chlorine and the like.

Yes, you need a water test to see not only what contaminants, but also
what the hardness level of your water is. Soft water makes an AMAZING
difference in clothes washing, bathing, drinking, cooking, water
heating, EVERYTHING to do with water. Comes at a price of a brine flush
a few times a month.