Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Davey

Default copper to brass

wrote:
hello all, having hell of a time trying to solder some brass pipe to
copper pipe, I have flared the copper so it has about 13 mm1/2 inch
sleeve onto the brass pipe. Its an old car radiator I am hoping to
adapt to cooling a stationary engine set-up. With 10 mm pipe running
external round the engine, I want to drop it down to normal 13mm/1/2
inch then to 10 mm bore bendy copper tubing. I'm sure it must be
easy,,, if you know how, unfortunately I don't. I can fix the copper
to copper no problem. I am using normal plumbing lead free
solder/flux with a small propane blow torch. I have tinned both
pieces but when I try to mate them together the solder sort of reacts
funny spits a bit and goes all lumpy with no shine left. Any one got
a pointer for fixing these together? Thanks very muchly.

Clean everything up good - get all the old soldier off as best you can.
Flux the joint and heat until the soldier wicks in.
In my experience that 'lead free' soldier doesn't like being heated multiple
times and gets downright nasty if overheated.

Ken.