Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default copper to brass

hello all, having hell of a time trying to solder some brass pipe to copper
pipe, I have flared the copper so it has about 13 mm1/2 inch sleeve onto the
brass pipe. Its an old car radiator I am hoping to adapt to cooling a
stationary engine set-up. With 10 mm pipe running external round the engine,
I want to drop it down to normal 13mm/1/2 inch then to 10 mm bore bendy
copper tubing. I'm sure it must be easy,,, if you know how, unfortunately I
don't. I can fix the copper to copper no problem. I am using normal plumbing
lead free solder/flux with a small propane blow torch. I have tinned both
pieces but when I try to mate them together the solder sort of reacts funny
spits a bit and goes all lumpy with no shine left. Any one got a pointer for
fixing these together? Thanks very muchly.