Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Boulter

Default Finishing Basement: Fastening Exterior Walls to Floor

wrote on 31 Mar 2006:

For the interior partition walls, I was going to use nails fired
through the plates and into the concrete of the floor with one
of the .22 calibre nailers and some Liquid Nails (for a little
insurance & to hold the plate in place during nailing). I'm
using PT wood & galvanized nails for the lower wall plates.

Let me add some perspective here. It will make a BIG difference
how long the concrete floor has been in place. If it's been curing
for 40 years, it will be a bear to shoot the nails into or to drill
for tapcons.

My floor was so hard that I used the highest load, shot a nail into
it, pulled the nail with a crowbar, and then shot a second nail in
the same spot. And that's AFTER drilling the PT plate.

For all your walls, I'd use a combination of adhesive (there are
better alternatives to Liquid Nails) and shot nails. If the
concrete is relatively new, I'd use tapcons and adhesive.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address