Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

Default is it possible? 1600W step-down transformer so tiny!

"James Sweet" wrote in message

But isn't the cooker a NA model? Otherwise he wouldn't be needing a
converter in the first place.

Yes, precisely why triac based converter kludges on unearthed metal cased
appliances are a recipe for disaster, possibly even a case for compensation
claims should a third party be injured/killed. These converters worry me-
they imply to the lay purchaser that as long as the wattage and voltage
requirements are met, then it's safe to use. This is not necessarily the
case.

There is the matter of spacing between live PCB traces/wiring and chassis to
consider- 240V is far more likely than 120V to create a potentially fatal
situation if steam/moisture settles on live components and creates a path to
chassis.

Therefore, without examining the OP's equipment, and indeed the converter,
there's no way in hell I would advocate connecting either to a UK supply.

Dave