Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Laguna vs MiniMax, a persion observation.

Leon wrote:

I ordered the Laguna and expect to see it the second week in April.

Hurrah!

There is no better teacher than experience. So I went ahead and got the
Grizzly G0550 (not the G0513x, not a laguna, not anything big or fancy)
with a riser kit--damn the uncertainties. I'm waiting on a friend to
bring a wrench to fit the riser block on the frame.

It seems very solid and, although I could wiggle the upper wheel left to
right a bit when there was no tension on the blade it was solid as a
rock with the (quick release) tension lever down (tension applied).
Before disassembling the frame it passes the nickel test. (it wasn't
particularly level, and I did it on the table base mounting area instead
of the table itself, which I won't install until I get the riser block on.

I found a couple bubbles in the paint of the riser block so asked for
(and got) a bottle of touch up paint. It was a bit of a bear lifting
that cast iron frame up onto the stand after putting the stand together.

If I've never seen a Laguna, or a MiniMax, or a 0513x, are they *really*
better than what I've got?

Tomorrow I will put it together and, with a timberwolf blade, will try
to cut a few sheets of veneer from a 1-3/4" x 8-1/4" block of cocobolo.
From the remnant (oh, say 7/8" of that, give or take--yes, using a
different blade), a couple saw handles.

er
--