Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Tracing ring main in kitchen

John Rumm wrote:
Aldrich wrote:

I need to trace the spur wiring. I have tried using my Draper cable/metal
detector but it is not up to the job. I've seen a recommendation from
Andy
Hall for the Zircon stud detector, but I think that is more aimed at
detecting voids. Would a Cable Avoidance Tool be my best bet?

A zircon is also a metal and voltage detector. It will probably do a
better job than your Draper.

Yes I have a Draper one (somewhere!) - total rubbish. I'm saving up for
a Zircon!

Note there was a thread on this ng about a week or so back discussing
whether a new cheap detector available at B&Q was actually a Zircon in
disguise: http://tinyurl.com/j4l9v (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/158db37b0e9f44ff/74363caff501af23?lnk=st&q=zircon+group%3Auk.d-i-y&rnum=2&hl=en#74363caff501af23

I'd love to know the definitive answer to that! Cos I'm damned if I'm
going to buy myself a *third* detector that doesn't work properly!

David