Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Wiring overkill?

Jim McLaughlin wrote:
"mgarvie" wrote in message
news:duHWf.67287$oL.26621@attbi_s71...

Just about done wiring two bedrooms for two 14 year old boys in the
basement. Each room has 12/2 with ground and a 20 amp breaker. Three

wall

plugs for whatever they will need in the future. Three more plug outlets
for computer, phone, TV in one corner. Even put in a phone outlet, cable,
and a cat 5e outlet for a router to be placed later. Am I forgeting
anything or have I already reach wiring overkill?

Yep. Two things, assuming you still have the walls open.

Fiber optic cable now because its the current big thing.

And a pull string in each wall cavity so that you can add whatever is the
next big thing 10 years from now.

You say router in the bedrom. You need a router in the garage or
elsewhere, with the Cat 6 (not Cat 5, Cat 6) running from it to each room in
the house.

And I would not have a computer in a teen aged boy's room hidden away in
the basement for all the tea in China.

A router in the garage (16,24 port or larger) is a great idea, but
putting multiple Cat 6 ports in a room is EXPENSIVE. Yes we need at
least 8 ports in the wiring center, perhaps more as more and more home
entertainment devices come with Ethernet management and reporting
capabilities. Otherwise, one or two ports per room is hte max with 4
port routers added as needs dictate later on.