Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

Default Lawn fanatics: Need your advice on broadcast spreaders & sprayers

"DK" wrote in message ...
Alright, we're giving our lawn service the boot, and I'm going to see if I
can make our lawn look as good or better than the lawn service could, at a
much better price of course.

snip

something like this Earthway broadcast spreader:

I cn't comment on the particular spreader - mine is a tow-behind, generic
and it works fine.
I began doing all of my own work and it's a big money saver with nearly as
good results. It also,
puts down less fertilizer than the pros want to throw down. I'm only doing
spring and fall and some
spot shot on problem weeds like thistle. The dandelions aren't hard to pull
or, in the case of some
of the ones that won't die, I inject deeply into the root with vinegar.

Secondly, I need a good weed sprayer that has a high enough capacity that
it

work better? Are backpack sprayers any better?

snip

Also, does anyone know where to get the best prices online, for either a
broadcast spreader or sprayer?

You want more than I am familiar with.

I'm planning to buy my fertilizer, and possibly weed chemicals, from a
farm-supply store, rather than at a normal retail gardening store. By
buying the more generic fertilizer and chemicals, I'm hoping I'll save a
lot compared to the $55 per visit that the lawn care companies charge.
Does this sound like a good battle plan? Anyone else saved a lot of money
doing this?

Yup, see above.

Any advice, suggestions or feedback on my grand plan here would be
appreciated, as would any spreader or sprayer recommendations. Thanks in
advance for your help!!

I tried some of the more natural ways for two years and lost all of the
beauty of
my lawn. I used corn meal gluten and soy meal as recommended and it was a
steady
decline. I now use a comb of chems and naturals. In addition to the things
stated
above I use soy meal and a light dressing of mushroom compost. I'm thinking
of
converting to using a liquid compost tea using this product. The improved
'tea'
method is to put a couple of scoops of any compost into a 5 gal bucket and
fill with water.
Insert an aquarium aerator into it and let it cook in the sun for a couple
of days. Strain the
liquid and spray on the lawn. If you check the lawn forum on
www.gardenweb.com .
Be sure to do your own research instead of taking the word of a goober like
me.

DK