Posted to rec.woodworking
diutinus

Default Retrofit pocket door

From joneakes.com:

Can I repair a pocket door without opening the wall?

Episode #05-167

Try removing the trim around the door. That will usually either expose
the track at the top, or removing the stops or trim down the sides may
allow the door to swing out and lift off of the tracks. Although the
track is installed during construction, the doors are usually hung
just before the trim is applied.

Hope that helps,
--James

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:02:05 -0600, "Steve DeMars"
wrote:

Why not go with folding doors? You can build as nice as you like. Design so
that entire door units can be easily removed.

Another option I have though of using my self was a small slender cabinet on
one side joining a pedestal on the other. Well weighted this would work and
allow you to design something really nice also.

"Cap'n 321" wrote in message
. net...
Is it possible to retrofit a pocket door without tearing out the
parallel wall. In other words, can I do the installation fully from the
jamb? We have open doorways from the dining room and hall into the
kitchen and need to keep the dogs in the kitchen area. I'm thinking of
half-height pocket doors if the job can be done without major surgery on
the adjacent walls.

TIA

Cap'n 321