Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Nickle Chrome prep

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:24:05 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT wrote:

Could be done, but probably more trouble than it's worth. You must
strip the chrome, which will also probably remove any rust. Then you
must neutralize, rinse, and polish if you want a mirror finish. Then
clean again and plate with copper, then nickle-plate.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying. I thought the electroless nickel went on as the
only layer. Not after shiny here, just rust prevention. The SO wants to just
paint them. I'm afraid the paint will just come right off as product is slid
in/out.

Any other suggestions?

Karl

Greetings Karl,
I have used products from Caswell in the past and have had good
results. They will answer all your questions. They have always
answered mine with helpful answers. They are geared towards the small
user and the novice. If you paint the racks I wonder how well the
paint will stick to the chrome? It would be pretty hard to sand all
those small diameters. Some epoxy paints are very durable and if epoxy
paint sticks it will probably last a long time.
Cheers,
eric