Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Drill Drivers Again

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:44:23 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi All

Without entering the quality/longevity argument again, does the panel
think
that a 'quality' make has performance advantages over a cheapie?

In other words, would a 12v Bosch/Makita/Hitachi perform as well or better
than say a £25 Argos/B&Q 14.4 volt jobby?

Obviously voltage isn't the only performance criteria, a two speed DD with
gearbox must have higher torque than a single speed, but will you get a
performance advantage going for a 'quality' brand all other things being
equal?

Absolutely.

You will get better batteries (the main cost factor), better mechanics
such as clutch and gearing.

Motor controllers in the quality makes give greater precision and
repeatability of control. There is nothing more irritating than
having to squeeze the trigger to different amounts for identical
operations and having the motor tend to run away.

There are ergonomic factors as well such as the balance of weight,
comfort of handle and so on.

All of the makes that you mention are good. Personally, I prefer
Makita out of these

Matt! You don't say! Makita? Gosh.

because I have found that they have consistency
across the range in different models.

However, if you are looking for a really good 12v drill driver, my
view is that the Festool C12 is the best on the market. The design,
with the use of electronically controlled induction motor (brushless)
is a first in a tool of this type and has won it several awards.

http://www.festool.co.uk/images/grea.../C12_broch.pdf

I find the versatility provided by the different chucks as well as the
ease of use a real benefit.

It ranks among my three favourite power tools.

--

.andy