Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Finishing Basement: Fastening Exterior Walls to Floor

I believe you are supposed to leave a gap between the wall studs and the
concrete unless you enjoy moisture problems.

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm finishing my basement. I've read many previous posts about
fastening walls to the floor. But my question is a little
different....

Many of the walls I'm putting up (traditional 2x4 construciton frames)
are right up against the poured concrete exterior walls of the
basement. What type of fastening for the lower wall plates is
acceptible for the walls that butt up directly to the exterior walls?
I was thinking just a little Liquid Nails would be OK for the exterior
walls since any force that may be applied to the wall would just be
absorbed by the poured concrete walls of my basement behind them.

For the interior partition walls, I was going to use nails fired
through the plates and into the concrete of the floor with one of the
.22 calibre nailers and some Liquid Nails (for a little insurance & to
hold the plate in place during nailing). I'm using PT wood &
galvanized nails for the lower wall plates.

Thoughts or suggestions? Any suggestions regarding sealing?

Any issues with floors cracking from the nailing?

Thanks,
Kevin