Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

Default PT wood underground, how to preserve longer?

"Locutus" wrote in message

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phisherman wrote:
I am building a garden gate and frame out of PT lumber. The gate
frame is two 4x4s that hold a 4x4 cross member as so:

| |
| |
| |_____ground level_______
|----|
| |

How can preserve the underground members so that they will last
longer? I will be putting a layer of gravel and some cement. Is there
a product such as cresote or tar that I can apply before I install the
frame?

It's probably not a big concern. This from the Southern Pine web site:
"How long does pressure-treated wood last? Currently available research
shows that wood that has been properly treated and installed for its
intended use can be expected to last for many decades.

Ongoing tests sponsored and monitored by the USDA forest Service's
Forest Products Laboratory confirm this finding. Test stakes of treated
wood have been buried in the ground at various locations, stretching
from the Mississippi Delta to the Canadian border. Data analysis
indicated that CCA-treated Southern Pine stakes in place since 1938
have shown no failures at chemical retention levels of 0.29 pounds of
preservative per cubic foot of wood, or higher."

If you use the typical .40 retention ACQ (CCA replacement), commonly
called ground contact, and don't bury a cut end, it should last decades
without further treatment. If you want higher levels of protection you
can purchase higher retention level treated wood.

If you're a belt and suspenders guy, and you want some added assurance,
you've answered your own question. A coating of roofing or flashing
cement will inexpensively waterproof the buried end of the post.

How do you keep from burying a "cut end"?

Nevermind... lol... obviously they mean an end cut after treatment has been
applied.