Karl Townsend

Default Tool sharpening in general

Ok then, I've followed the technique set forth by Teenut and I only get

one
lip to cut. I ran into this problem the other day on a 1 1/8" drill bit.
Is there a secret to getting the things ground so that both lips cut

during
the drilling process. As near as I could measure with my drill gauge the
cutting edges were at the right angle and the same length. The chisel

point
was at the correct angle. I ended up cutting a bit to watch the cutting
action then grinding the cutting edge till both edges were cutting about

the
same.

Man I hear ya. The only way I can get both flutes to cut the same is by
trying the drill and then grind a little more off the edge that's cutting
harder. The difference here is only a few thou.

I built a drill grinding attachment for large drills to solve this problem.
Its easy to touch a perfect drill up by hand when it dulls a little. The
biggest help with a perfect drill is keeping the holes from drilling
oversize - when one flute does most of the cutting it forces the drill
sideways and you get a larger hole.

Where my son used to work, they'd send out drills for professional
resharpening. The after the drill has been touched up several times, send it
out again. A good sharp drill allows higher feeds and speeds on CNC
equipment. Plus, some of the operators weren't very good hand drill
sharpeners.

Karl