Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Default PT wood underground, how to preserve longer?

You may or may not know that there are "different" grades
of SYP pressure treated wood ???

Be sure to buy pt wood that is graded for "direct burial".

Not all Home Centers carry that grade.

http://www.southernpine.com/grade.shtml

They also recommend using a water proofing after the project
is completed, to help prevent checking.

Phisherman wrote:

I am building a garden gate and frame out of PT lumber. The gate
frame is two 4x4s that hold a 4x4 cross member as so:

| |
| |
| |_____ground level_______
|----|
| |

How can preserve the underground members so that they will last
longer? I will be putting a layer of gravel and some cement. Is there
a product such as cresote or tar that I can apply before I install the
frame?