Jon Grimm

Default OT- Cross Pens moves prduction to China

I saw a lock back folding knife in Lowe's the other day.
Stainless steel and Aluminum construction,
uses a utility knife blade for the cutting edge.
I fell in love with it. At $9.99, I knew it had to be Chinese.
It was.
I would have gladly paid $30.00 for this knife if it were American made,
especially if it was on display next to the chinese one.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
axolotl wrote:
From today's Investor's Business Daily:

"A.T. Cross will move pen production to China over three years to cut
labor costs. It'll cut 300 jobs and save $5 mil-$7 mil a year."

That would be about $16.67K / year per worker.

The thing that I find odd is that they almost brag about it.
If I were in the market for a status pen, I'd want it made
in the US or possibly Western Europe, not China. Same
with the Maytag. I'd want it made in the US and not Mexico.
Not that I have anything against Chinese or Mexicans. I
just want some things made in the US and I'm willing to pay
the ten or 20 percent more that it would cost. These
companies are cutting their own throats.