Jim Stewart

Default OT- Cross Pens moves prduction to China

axolotl wrote:
From today's Investor's Business Daily:

"A.T. Cross will move pen production to China over three years to cut
labor costs. It'll cut 300 jobs and save $5 mil-$7 mil a year."

That would be about $16.67K / year per worker.

The thing that I find odd is that they almost brag about it.
If I were in the market for a status pen, I'd want it made
in the US or possibly Western Europe, not China. Same
with the Maytag. I'd want it made in the US and not Mexico.
Not that I have anything against Chinese or Mexicans. I
just want some things made in the US and I'm willing to pay
the ten or 20 percent more that it would cost. These
companies are cutting their own throats.