Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default How can I apply silicone caulking

RicodJour wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

louie wrote:

Put a bead in with the caulk gun/tube then wet your finger and smooth
it with your index finger. Stop often and wipe off the excess and
rewet your finger. As long as the finger is wet, it won't stick and be
messy.

That is said often here, but it isn't true for me.
I don't have a clue how to get it smooth, but
my finger, wet or dry, stick immediately to
silicone and pulls it.

A couple of drops of liquid soap in the water helps tremendously.
Another trick is to lay down the bead as neatly as possible, then
spritz the bead and immediately adjoining surfaces with a spray bottle
(same soap in water solution), then wipe down the bead with a wet
finger. The spritz will keep the silicone from sticking to the wet
surfaces.

Thanks, I've seen a similar suggestion, but I
haven't tried it. Pure water doesn't seem to work
for me. Since I have a shower enclosure to redo,
I guess I will have to make a corner out of
something and try different techniques, especially
the one you suggested.