Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Question on Analog vs. Digital Signals for Plasma TV

"JANA" wrote in message
The answer can be complicated or simple. As for your old analog set, the
Plasma or LCD will have a much nicer picture. The technology of the new
sets
are far ahead of the older sets. But, if you don't feed them the proper
signal in the proper mode, they will not work to the optimum.

The new displays work best in their native mode. This has to do with that
they are using pixel addressing rather than a more simple scanning of the
image. If the signal sent to the LCD or Plasma screen is not in the native
mode, the system has to do some complicated interpolation to be able to
display the picture. The image will then look softer.

There will be a time that everyone who wants to watch TV will have to be
up
to date. Most likely over the next 10 years, analog broadcast TV will be
no
longer in service.

As for the new TV display technology, it is true that there are some bugs
with it. This is especially so, with rapid moving objects. As time goes
on,
the manufactures are finding ways to make these sets have higher contrast
ratios, and have faster response times. There are some newer LCD monitors
out there now that are faster than the older CRT ones. The prices are
still
very high for a very good monitor, but these will come down.

Eventually the stores will no longer be selling CRT type monitors. Most of
the manufactures have stopped making the picture tubes, and are not
interested in selling CRT type monitors, or TV sets.

--

JANA
_____

I'd love to agree with you on all that, but most of the stores that I do
work for, which sell flat screens - both LCD and plasma, won't place them
side by side with CRT sets, because these show up the flat panels for what
they are - generally inferior.

With a good signal going in, a CRT set looks good under all circumstances,
from a full dark night-time shot, to a brightly lit studio shot - and if
we're talking digital here, then let's say a high bitrate source such as
QVC. On the contrary, flat panel sets of either variety will struggle to
handle this high dynamic range of brightness and contrast with anything like
the same fidelity as a CRT, no matter what fancy tweaking software and
hardware has been incorporated.

And motion artifacts, and shading artifacts *are* a problem with these
displays. Some displays are signally better at reducing the 'unwanteds',
than others. If I was really intent on buying myself one, and had the money,
then I would definitely buy a Pioneer plasma.

As far as the technology getting better is concerned, I'm not so sure about
that. About 5 years ago, I was called in by a colleague to sort an audio
problem with an installation of multiple large plasmas in a bar. They were
NEC professional types, and I will admit to the picture on them being
excellent. But then it should have been at over 6 grand UKP apiece ...

I'm not sure what actually represents an LCD monitor that's *faster* than a
CRT one. I guess that you must be talking about refresh rates, because the
response times of CRT phosphors are very very short, and I'm pretty sure
that there is not the LCD panel made, that can come close to them in pure
pixel on/off response time, but I could be wrong on that one.

I do absolutely agree with you on them looking best in native mode, though.
However, "best" is the operative word here ...

I know a few people who have bought both LCD and plasma displays, and
ultimately been less than satisfied by them. But, by the same token, I also
know people who have bought them and been absolutely delighted. I think it
is a case of those people being the same ones that you used to call on for a
CRT set fault, and when you got there, the picture was bright green. Then
the customer walks in the room and says " It's the sound that I've got a
problem with, mate ! "

I'm sure that there's still lots of life in this thread yet !! I guess that
the poor old OP is now well confused, but he's at least got the idea now
that he needs to look at plenty of content typical to what he watches before
making a decision. Oh, and don't be fooled by those fancy Sony demo rooms,
with a top of the range model, shown in the dark ... d;~}

Arfa