Posted to alt.machines.cnc,misc.survivalism,rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

Default Mouse Balls

We had to turn in our cards and the data was sent by modem to the 3 IBM
360's that provided computing power for all of Georgia's colleges. Later we
got to use the teletypes. Finally as a junior or senior we got our own
terminal in the science building with a phone type modem to call the IBM's.
One terminal for the whole building. Of course biology majors had never
heard of a computer so that left it for us chemistry types.
Karl

"dan" wrote in message
Terry Collins wrote:
Devonshire wrote:

Aaah, therein lies your problem. Your vision is blinkered.

What's that supposed to mean?

all you knew was ibm-compatible computers.

OTOH, my first computer was a PDP 11/45 (?) which only had paddles and
blinking lights.

I took my first programming class on a CDC-6400 - Programmed using
cards, baby! We reverently descended into the bowels of the building
and offered our card stacks to the priests behind the counter, then
returned later in the hope that our output was indeed resting on the
output table - hardly dreaming in might have actually (gasp) compiled
and (whoa) run, and (dream on) produced the output we desired...

Things like the 8 queens problem and recursive sorts were real wow items!

In the days of Bill Joy...

Dan