Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Ignoramus6399

Default Safely testing 22 kV capacitors

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 04:02:07 GMT, Ecnerwal wrote:
Ignoramus27088 wrote:
- A shorting stick (also made of junk steel) with a wooden broomhandle

At the olde ion beam lab, we used pvc or fiberglass handles, not wood.
Wood would be a poor choice. And a resistor (a big honking 50W resistor,
which the Lab's EE assured inquiring minds WOULD NOT be surviving a full
discharge - this is a safety tool used to approach supposedly discharged
capacitors and be damn sure that they are discharged before you touch
them, not a device to discharge them through, other than that last few
hundred volts which is more than enough to kill you...) Speaking of
which, you never want to store these things without having them shorted,
solidly. A HV capacitor which is just sitting around can collect a
lethal mount of static. If they did not come to you pre-shorted, someone
was not behaving responsibly at fermilab.

Thank you. I will pick them up on Tuesday early morning, I believe
that they are all shorted.

Well, here's a picture of the data plate, courteously emailed to me by
the seller:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/cap.jpg

Do you thikn that it has PCBs?

In short, you really do not want to test these to anywhere near their
capacity. Your HV supply is not suitable, and if it was, you'd be
looking at a world of hurt without investing a few thousand in test
gear. You could test them in a low-voltage RC circuit, I suppose, but
for all actual purposes which they might be used, it's not very relevant.

Thanks... I will think about this...