Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA

Default Question on Analog vs. Digital Signals for Plasma TV

The answer can be complicated or simple. As for your old analog set, the
Plasma or LCD will have a much nicer picture. The technology of the new sets
are far ahead of the older sets. But, if you don't feed them the proper
signal in the proper mode, they will not work to the optimum.

The new displays work best in their native mode. This has to do with that
they are using pixel addressing rather than a more simple scanning of the
image. If the signal sent to the LCD or Plasma screen is not in the native
mode, the system has to do some complicated interpolation to be able to
display the picture. The image will then look softer.

There will be a time that everyone who wants to watch TV will have to be up
to date. Most likely over the next 10 years, analog broadcast TV will be no
longer in service.

As for the new TV display technology, it is true that there are some bugs
with it. This is especially so, with rapid moving objects. As time goes on,
the manufactures are finding ways to make these sets have higher contrast
ratios, and have faster response times. There are some newer LCD monitors
out there now that are faster than the older CRT ones. The prices are still
very high for a very good monitor, but these will come down.

Eventually the stores will no longer be selling CRT type monitors. Most of
the manufactures have stopped making the picture tubes, and are not
interested in selling CRT type monitors, or TV sets.

--

JANA
_____

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
If there is a better forum for this question please direct me. I currently
have a regular RCA 32" television that is hooked up to cable TV via "analog"
signal. My question is.... If I buy a plasma TV and stay with analog (not
digital) will my picture be an improvement over my older TV just due to
different technology??

thanks for any help!