Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default OT- Kansas joins right to carry

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:55:51 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 04:06:05 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

it is truely a tragedy when neighbours and friends view people they
dont know with deep suspicion. there is a core aspect of humanity
which is destroyed in the process.

This American certainly views people I don't know with suspicion when
they are flagrently breaking our laws.

can I suggest that people watch the michael moor video "bowling over
columbine" (I think that that is what it was called)
particularly the section toward the end which compared the experiences
of two communities which live either side of the canadian border
river.
you americans have no idea how much you lose in your quality of life
by this course of action.

Which course of action might you refer to?

Americans who have lived in either
australia, new zealand or canada are quite vocal in wanting our
quality of life and often migrate from america as a result. the
difference is that we dont carry guns.

Most Americans don't carry guns either. Perhpas you have an
erronious impression because a very few who do (or legally could)
carry guns make so damned much noise about it. Most Americans don't
care for that any more than you do.

I'm a gun owner and user myself but we dont carry guns as a matter of
routine because of the subtle psychology that develops where the
carrier starts seeing everyone in terms of their potential threat.

That's ridiculous. Threats are threats, regardless of the awareness
level of those around them who may be at risk. The response of
most reasonable people to perceived threat is to distance themselves
from said threat ASAP. Most Americans live in and go places where
that is easily done -- so they don't need to carry weapons and they
don't.

superficially you'd call the attitude paranoia and many of us in the
first world worry that it will bring the demise of the USA eventually.

Now who is viewing his neighbor with prejudicial suspicion? You
might call it paranoia; I'd call awareness of one's environment
prudent. See situations as they are, which may occasionally not be
quite as one might hope them to be.

I think tolerating lawlessness and egregious greed is what will
bring about the demise of the USA if we don't get that turned around.