Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default How can I apply silicone caulking

No wrote:
"nsf" wrote in message

Okay, this sounds silly but I can never get the silicone to look as
perfect as I see it when contractors have done it. How do you get this
stuff to look like a perfect smooth application?

First do not use silicone! Its the toughest to work with and to clean up.
Use a good latex caulk. "Alex" is one IIRC. Also 35 year warranty IIRC.

All the tips about using a finger are perfect for latex caulk. You make a
bigger mess with pure silicone unless your finger is really wet. No, you
still make a big mess. Use latex and you will be fine.

Most applications do not need silicone anyway. Where are you caulking?
Kitchens, baths, windows, doors, etc. are all good candidates for a good
latex caulk.

Latex is crap around a bathtub. dadiOH's tip is spot on - don't need
the wet finger, just to form the caulk to level with the tape, and take
the tape off right away.