Ed Huntress

Default Mother of Pearl

"Kelley Mascher" wrote in message

Obviously, you shouldn't breathe dust of any type, but I have never
heard of mother of pearl being toxic. Abalone shell however is toxic.
I've done inlay work on guitars with both and have never had problems
nor has anyone I have known who did this type of work. Keep in mind
that we were only working with flat sheet cut to shape and polished. I
did know a guy who almost died trying to grind abalone from raw
shells. He later found out that this procedure is normally done under
water.

From an arts safety website put up by the City of Tucson Environmental
Management Division (?? I can't certify their accuracy):

"Fine shell dust irritating; mother of pearl dust causes fevers,
pneumonia-like disease."

--
Ed Huntress