Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf

Default Grunt Work, Machines and Soul (somewhat long)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:54:48 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Nicely put sir. Computer algorithms may be able to produce "art",
but soul will always be the domain of living things, be it a
human or a bird.

Not trying to remove the human from the equation. But first we used
the computer to help draw the design. Now it's being used to help
produce the design. We've only used it to produce the design in the
respect that it can give us a way to fool around with things without
getting a new sheet of paper or piece of wood. I think we could use
it to help come up with the design as well. The same ignorance of the
computer towards not doing certain things also means it doesn't know
it shouldn't do things that the human has preconceived notions not to
do. It's not afraid to take risks, it has no concept of risk.

The best thing is that exploring things like this, and artificial
intelligence, is that we find out how little we actually understand
things that we take for granted. Trying to teach the computer we end
up learning about ourselves.

-Leuf